History of Long Hill
Joseph Maddox Artwork
Baby Sweaters by Grandma Rhoda
Email the Innkeepers
Long Hill Bed & Breakfast|
George & Rhoda Kriz, Owners/Operators
547 Apple Pie Ridge Road
Winchester, VA 22603 USA
Toll free: 866.450.0341
Email Long Hill Bed & Breakfast
To make your stay at Long Hill all you want it to be.....
We are pleased to offer
- For the Vacationer: Secluded places in the bird and butterfly garden and the woods invite you to relax and enjoy your quiet time.
- For the Birder: Enjoy watching birds at the feeders. Most often seen are woodpeckers, robins, finches, titmice, wrens, blue jays, cardinals and doves. Sometimes the Eastern bluebirds come close enough for a drink. Hawks can be seen and heard overhead, and Owls can be heard calling to each other. A neighbor who is a nature photographer operates a bird banding station nearby following the MAPS (monitoring avian productivity and survivorship) protocols. The Flying Fish Photography Website has information.
- For the Hiker/Walker/Jogger: One-quarter mile of
paved driveway gives you a great area for an early morning walk. There is also a gravel drive and an open 8 acre field for an extended workout.
Learn about "Walking Plus!!" You are welcome to try our Nordic Walking Sticks for a great whole-body workout and walking experience -- without extra effort.
- For the Gardener: Explore, sample (and help harvest, if you like) George's Garden from early spring through late summer, and don't miss the delicious raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries in the Fruit Garden.
- For the Tennis player: Public tennis courts are located one-quarter mile from Long Hill.
- For the Swimmer: The swimming pool is open during the summer months at Long Hill.
Things to do at Long Hill are not limited to out-of-doors.
Activites we offer IN THE HOUSE include:
- Guests are welcome to play the Yamaha Conservatory Grand Piano.
- Large, versatile recreation room
- Regulation size pool table which resided from 1922 - 1968 in a popular establishment on Broad Street in downtown Richmond, Virginia.
- A vintage "Wizard" Pin-ball machine (not very high-tech, but it IS electric - and does not require money) - and Puzzles and Games galore!
- Comfortable sitting area and television, VCR, and lots of movies.
- Twenty foot bar with sink, microwave, and refrigerator well stocked with drinks.
- Large, comfortable library
- Hundreds of jigsaw puzzles, -- with some that date back to the 1940s and World War II, slogans on the boxes remind us to 'Buy War Bonds' - as well as modern puzzles. One is always in progress.
- Cribbage, Backgammon, Dominoes, Pente, and assorted board games for everyone's pleasure and relaxation and competitive nature.
If you are looking for a game or instructions for a game issued prior to the 1990s, see our catalog of games online at Games Galore
- Like to read or just browse through a vast assortment of books (and a treasure trove of old magazines)?? There are
- coffee table books of the history of the Winchester, Frederick County area;
- hundred-year-old school texts;
- early 20th century yearbooks from Handley High School, Greenbrier Military School, Lynchburg College, and the Medical College of Virginia;
- entertaining reading -- Diana Gabaldon, Janet Evanovich, 50-some Agatha Christies. Complete set of Jan Karon's "Mitford Years" and Clyde Edgerton's "Raney" and "Walking Across Egypt"!!!!
- Letters -- Hundreds of pieces of correspondence to and from William Clark Whitacre dating from 1916 - 1924. For more information to help with genealogy or research projects -- the Whitacre letters
- Or just relax and enjoy your getaway at this very private setting. It's yours to enjoy!
Other things to do in the area
- For the Nature enthusiast: Year 'round scenic countryside invites one to enjoy biking and hiking. Migratory and resident birds abound for watching and photographing. Discover Nature in Winchester & Frederick County with the "Winchester and Frederick County Naturally!" hiking and nature guide prepared by students in the Environmental Studies Program At Shenandoah University.
- For the Horseback rider: Horseback riding facilities such as the Rocking "S" Ranch offer trail rides with experienced guides and well-trained horses.
- For the Wine taster: Experience a FAMOUS LIMO wine tour to sample wines at several wineries. Or travel on your own along the Blue Ridge Wine Way in the Heart of Virginia Wine Country.
- For the Bride & Groom to be!: Winchester is a great place for weddings! Long Hill Bed & Breakfast is a great place to spend your wedding night or to house your family or out-of-town guests. A limousine from FAMOUS LIMO makes your wedding day even more special. Email us for more information. Wedding information can be found at several websites: Shenandoah Wedding Professionals; Weddings by JudySue; Valley Wedding Chapel.
- For the History Buff: Visit Museums and Historic Estates.
- For the Cavern Explorer: Some of the most famous caverns in the world are within an hour's drive. Shenandoah Caverns located between New Market and Mount Jackson, VA, have unusual formations that have been featured in National Georgraphic. Shenandoah Caverns are the closest caverns to Interstate 81 and are the only Virginia caverns to offer the convenience of elevator service to their spectacular one hour tour.
- For the Art Lover: Enjoy specialty shops and art galleries in Old Town Winchester.
- For the Playgoer: Check out the plays, concerts and events at Shenandoah University, Wayside Theatre, Winchester Little Theatre.
- For the Golfer: Five public golf courses are available in and around Winchester. Miniature golf in season.
- For the Snow skier: Ski slopes are within an hour or two drive.
- For the Canoeist: The North Fork of the Shenandoah River offers a scenic and challenging adventure. Did you know the Shenandoah River flows north and meets up with the Potomac River at Harper's Ferry?
Santa goes to Hawaii
See more detail and hotlinks for the items listed above in the Winchester-Frederick County Area Attractions